Re: SVN tetex-bin commit: r2079 - in tetex-bin/trunk/debian: . patches

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 11:39 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:
>
> > BTW, the above mentioned page also gives a hint as to what these b?
> > sizes in the dvipdfm patch are: "The Japanese JIS P 0138-61 standard
> > defines the same A series as ISO 216, but a slightly different B series
> > of paper sizes, sometimes called the JIS B or JB series." The quoted
> > sizes for JB5 etc fit the numbers for 'b5' in dvipdfm.c. Now what should
> > one do with something like that ...
>
> Ask libpaper to support the JB sizes with a different name?
>
> Change dvipdfm to support both JB and B sizes?
>
> Should we use JB or JIS B?  Will whitespace in the string work?

In the sources of xdvipdfmx (and probably dvipdfmx) I have meanwhile
found:

  /*
   * The B series paper formats were first introduced in Japanese
   * patch (jpatch). The size of b6, ..., b5var paper is JIS paper
   * size for this reason. Please modify the following line or use
   * libpaper if you need ISO paper sizes.
   */
#if defined(USE_ISO_PAPERSIZE) || defined(ISO_PAPERSIZE)
  {"b6",         354,     499},
  {"b5",         501,     709},
  {"b4",         709,    1002},
  {"b3",        1002,    1418},
#else
  {"b6",      364.25,  515.91},
  {"b5",      515.91,  728.50},
  {"b4",      728.50, 1031.81},
  {"b3",     1031.81, 1457.00},
  {"b5var",   515.91,  651.97},
#endif /* USE_ISO_PAPERSIZE */
  /* Alias for JIS and ISO */
  {"jisb6",   364.25,  515.91},
  {"jisb5",   515.91,  728.50},
  {"jisb4",   728.50, 1031.81},
  {"jisb3",  1031.81, 1457.00},
  {"isob6",      354,     499},
  {"isob5",      501,     709},
  {"isob4",      709,    1002},
  {"isob3",     1002,    1418},

This piece of code is only used when libpaper is not available. Hence it
might be pest to use 'b?' for the ISO sizes, 'jisb?' for the JIS paper
sizes and ask libpaper to support them under this name. According to
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size> the JIS B sizes are widely
available in Japan. Something that I cannot say about the ISO B sizes
here. I will file an appropriate whish list bug.

cheerio
ralf