Re: Removal of tfm-arphic

Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) <danai.sae-han@edpnet.be> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> I've been sniffing in the TeX related bugs, and I found that the
> package tfm-arphic still has quite a few of them.
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=tfm-arphic
>
> My own latex-cjk-chinese-arphic package is actually a replacement of
> these fonts.

I wasn't aware of this, but this sounds like great news.  However, there
seem to be some issues left:

- The filenames used are different.  I'm not sure whether this is a
  problem (I guess those old files where used through TeX input files in
  cjk-latex, while TeX input files in our new cjk access the new
  files).  But it deserves an explanation if we target this at etch.

- Which packages depend on the old ones?  Strangely, I cannot find a
  single one for one example, tfm-arphic-bkai00mp:

$ grep-dctrl -s Package  \
> \( -F Recommends tfm-arphic-bkai00mp \) \
> -o \( -F Depends tfm-arphic-bkai00mp \) \
> -o \( -F Suggests tfm-arphic-bkai00mp \) \
> /var/lib/apt/lists/localhost\:9999_debian_dists_unstable_*Packages
Package: ttf-arphic-bkai00mp
$

> So most, if not all of the bugs will disappear if I set a Replaces: in
> latex-cjk-chinse-arphic.  As a bonus, you won't need freetype1-tools
> anymore.
> Would you agree that this is a replacement?
>
> If so, then perhaps tfm-arphic could be purged now.  Or I could upload
> a new version of latex-cjk-chinese-arphic for after the new Debian
> release, and meanwhile the tfm-arphic bugs could be ignored.

cjk will go into testing today "thanks to manual hinting by vorlon".
This is probably in order to be able to remove the old cjk-latex
package.

But this gives us the opportunity to do an upload with
"Replaces/Conflicts/Provides" on tfm-arphic that is targetted at etch,
and thereby really closing these bugs, in particular the two RC ones.

I would be glad if you could prepare such a package as fast as possible
- ideally so fast that I can compile it this weekend (it's the one that
takes hours, isn't it?)

> tfm-arphic bugs that can almost certainly be closed manually or merged
> with others:

Have you already added these comments to the respective bug logs?  That
would be very good.