Re: ConTeXt installtion and Debian

On Die, 24 Okt 2006, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> > > TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//
> > >
> > > IMO it would be best if we would go back to this path. Note that it does
> > > include the old path TEXMF/dvips. It also includes most of the specific
> > > things Taco mentioned.
> >
> > I agree.  The only question is: Do we want to change this *now*, when
> > tex-common might enter sarge?
>
> I don't know if double slashes in the middle of the path or three or
> four slashes at the end can confuse kpselib, but one can avoide them
> with
>
> TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF{/fonts/map,}{/$progname,/pdftex,/dvips,}//
>
> > teTeX 3.0 only has
> >
> > TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map//
> >
> > so it seems the comment in our 55Fonts.cnf is from TeXlive?
>
> Strange, I thought I has seen that in teTeX, too. But even TeX Live 2005
> has a slightly simpler TEXFONTMAPS:
>
> % font name map files.  This isn't just fonts/map// because ConTeXt
> % wants support for having files with the same name in the different
> % subdirs.  Maybe if the programs ever get unified to accepting the same
> % map file syntax the definition can be simplified again.
> TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//
>
> > Well, anyway, I think the result of this investigation is that we can
> > change it right now and get more, not less paths, but less cutter in the
> > kpsewhich output.
>
> ACK. I don't think it warrants a new upload, though.

So what be the path we want to choose? I have submitted to svn
something which uses
	 TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/{fonts/map,}/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//
but I would be happy with
	TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//
too

Any comments what we actually choose?

And after this, I am FOR an upload after a final check of the
dh_installtex changes and the man page.

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at>                    Università di Siena
WEEM (n.)
The tools with which a dentist can inflict the greatest
pain. Formerly, which tool this was dependent upon the imagination and
skill of the individual dentist, though now, with technological
advances, weems can be bought specially.