Re: latex-cjk upload to unstable ...

Hi!

From: Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch>

> Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) <danai.sae-han@skynet.be> wrote:
>
> >> Hm, it seems to me as if ttf-arphic-ukai is wrong in declaring
> >>
> >> Provides: ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp, ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp
> >>
> >> if it does not contain the same font files.  It might be a good
> >> replacement from the point of view of a user, but it's not a replacement
> >> in terms of package dependencies.  I think this relationship should
> >> rather be in the description.  I suggest filing a bug.
> >
> > Then do you suggest an Enhances line?  Or to suggest to all other
> > packages that depend on Chinese TTF to depend on/recommend both
> > packages, like ttf-arphic-{bkai,gkai,bsmi,gbsn} | ttf-arphic-u{kai,ming}?
>
> I'm not familiar with these packages.  But if the new ones are an
> alternative, not an extension of the old ones, I would say that Enhances
> is not the right thing.  Instead, the alternative depends is the way to
> go (unless you depend on a particular font file name, as we do in our
> Build-Depends).

Indeed, Enhances is not an option.

Now, I believe the reason that only ukai and uming got installed on my
computer where because scim-chewing recommends ttf-arphic-ukai and
ttf-arphic-uming, while all other Chinese scim packages recommend
ttf-arphic-bkai00mp | ttf-arphic-gkai00mp and ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp |
ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp.

Since aptitude selected ttf-arphic-u{kai,ming}, all other packages'
dependencies were also fulfilled.  So if scim-chewing were to
recommend the original Arphic packages instead, I suppose that
aptitude won't select ttf-arphic-u{kai,ming} anymore.

Or all the packages could recommend ttf-arphic-u{kai,ming} |
ttf-arphic-{bkai00mp,gkai00mp,bsmi00lp,gbsn00lp}.

> >> I think this is an other reason to believe ttf-arphic-ukai's Provides
> >> are buggy.  According to the policy, Provides can either contain virtual
> >> packages (7.4), or packages that are to be completely removed (7.5.2
> >> Replacing whole packages, forcing their removal).  So this behavior is a
> >> Policy violation.  Will you file the bug, or should I?
> >
> > I'm currently busy writing a manpage and trying to fix amd64-iness, so
> > if you could file a bug, I would most certainly appreciate it.
>
> Okay, I'll see to it.

Thanks.

> >> You should always run pbuilder update before trying a build.  I doesn't
> >> cost much time (especially compared to building the font packages), but
> >> saves much grieve.
> >
> > Well, the Arphic font package is a proper Debian package which has no
> > .diff.gz file; just a tarball and a .dsc file which I can directly
> > modify without debuild'ing.
> >
> > But otherwise I can't do a pbuild before I have run debuild first
> > (because of the .diff.gz file), can I?
>
> Hm, I never use debuild (I export/copy the sources to a separate tree,
> run dpkg-source -b over it, and inspect the diff.gz; then I build with
> pbuilder).  But what I meant was that it makes sense to update the
> pbuilder tarball each time before it is used, no matter how.  Not run
> the package in it, just
>
> pbuilder update
>
> >> If it's possible, we could try uploading the cjk source package without
> >> the font packages.  Or will it be uninstallable/unusable?
> >
> > Well, it makes it virtually unusable.  Thai will work without
> > problems.  And so will Korean (only in KS encoding).
> >
> > Chinese and Japanese will need TFM and Type1 fonts, and to let the
> > users create their own fonts will be an enormous hassle (I know; I
> > have tried to explain to about a dozen other users).
>
> Does the current package in Debian work for them?

They will work.  But users will have to fiddle with fontforge.  So in
essence the font packages do not have to be in Debian in order for
CJK to work, but users will still have to do a lot to get it working.

> > Japanese is another problem: I really need the wftodm binary to create
> > the DNP Type1 fonts.
>
> I really hope you'll be able to sort this out soon, but I can't help
> much.  Have you gotten any responses from amd64 people?

I have just contacted the Debian AMD64 list.  Meanwhile, I have got a
response from Werner Lemberg, the CJK author.  While he didn't write
wftodm but only patched it, he still volunteered to have a look at
it.  A simple test case of nine lines still segfaults on my computer,
so it might be a potentially serious bug.

>From http://lists.ffii.org/pipermail/cjk/2006-July/001472.html on the
discussion starts.

Best regards

Danai SAE-HAN