Re: latex-cjk upload to unstable ...

Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐) <danai.sae-han@skynet.be> wrote:

>> Hm, it seems to me as if ttf-arphic-ukai is wrong in declaring
>>
>> Provides: ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp, ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp
>>
>> if it does not contain the same font files.  It might be a good
>> replacement from the point of view of a user, but it's not a replacement
>> in terms of package dependencies.  I think this relationship should
>> rather be in the description.  I suggest filing a bug.
>
> Then do you suggest an Enhances line?  Or to suggest to all other
> packages that depend on Chinese TTF to depend on/recommend both
> packages, like ttf-arphic-{bkai,gkai,bsmi,gbsn} | ttf-arphic-u{kai,ming}?

I'm not familiar with these packages.  But if the new ones are an
alternative, not an extension of the old ones, I would say that Enhances
is not the right thing.  Instead, the alternative depends is the way to
go (unless you depend on a particular font file name, as we do in our
Build-Depends).

>> I think this is an other reason to believe ttf-arphic-ukai's Provides
>> are buggy.  According to the policy, Provides can either contain virtual
>> packages (7.4), or packages that are to be completely removed (7.5.2
>> Replacing whole packages, forcing their removal).  So this behavior is a
>> Policy violation.  Will you file the bug, or should I?
>
> I'm currently busy writing a manpage and trying to fix amd64-iness, so
> if you could file a bug, I would most certainly appreciate it.

Okay, I'll see to it.

>> > Next time I do a pbuild, I'll remove perl-base again and see what
>> > happens then.  Perhaps an updated pbuilder will do wonders.
>>
>> You should always run pbuilder update before trying a build.  I doesn't
>> cost much time (especially compared to building the font packages), but
>> saves much grieve.
>
> Well, the Arphic font package is a proper Debian package which has no
> .diff.gz file; just a tarball and a .dsc file which I can directly
> modify without debuild'ing.
>
> But otherwise I can't do a pbuild before I have run debuild first
> (because of the .diff.gz file), can I?

Hm, I never use debuild (I export/copy the sources to a separate tree,
run dpkg-source -b over it, and inspect the diff.gz; then I build with
pbuilder).  But what I meant was that it makes sense to update the
pbuilder tarball each time before it is used, no matter how.  Not run
the package in it, just

pbuilder update

>> If it's possible, we could try uploading the cjk source package without
>> the font packages.  Or will it be uninstallable/unusable?
>
> Well, it makes it virtually unusable.  Thai will work without
> problems.  And so will Korean (only in KS encoding).
>
> Chinese and Japanese will need TFM and Type1 fonts, and to let the
> users create their own fonts will be an enormous hassle (I know; I
> have tried to explain to about a dozen other users).

Does the current package in Debian work for them?

> Japanese is another problem: I really need the wftodm binary to create
> the DNP Type1 fonts.

I really hope you'll be able to sort this out soon, but I can't help
much.  Have you gotten any responses from amd64 people?

Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)