Re: (Not) Moving all stuff to TEXMFDIST

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> [including #350992 again that I had removed previously by accident]
>
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 18:36 +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Son, 19 Feb 2006, Ralf Stubner wrote:
>> > Indeed it looks as if the mktex* in TEXMFMAIN/web2c as well as their
>> > configuration files mktex*.opt are explicitly searched in TEXMFMAIN.
>> > Therefore I would suggest to keep them there. The same for tcfmgr and
>> > related files in TEXMFMAIN/texconfig.
>>
>> Good, can we create a list?

I have added a remark in the Policy, but I guess we'd rather not include
the list there, okay?

> If we decide to keep pool files in TEXMFMAIN, this requirement should be
> documented in the TeX Policy.

The sentence is:

  Instead, the basic TeX packages install their files into their TEXMFDIST
  directories [1] , while TEXMFMAIN is used by TeX add-on packages for
  their files and allows them to shadow older versions provided by the
- basic TeX packages.
+ basic TeX packages. A couple of files from the basic TeX packages still
+ need to be placed in TEXMFMAIN [2].

with the footnote [2]:

Reasons include hardcoded paths in executables as well as the need for
e.g. pool files to exactly match the binaries' version, so that
shadowing must be prevented.

Debian Developer (teTeX)