Re: (Not) Moving all stuff to TEXMFDIST

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 19:25 +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > > Well, so trivial it is unfortunately not. tcfmgr is searched in
> > > TEXMFMAIN, which will for sure break also in tetex.
> >
> > That is problematic indeed. One could change the way tcfmgr is searched,
> > but I am not sure it is worth it.
>
> I would say no. We wouldn't be sure that we find all places where it is
> actually expected that a file is in TEXMFMAIN. And I don't want to patch
> many files.

Indeed it looks as if the mktex* in TEXMFMAIN/web2c as well as their
configuration files mktex*.opt are explicitly searched in TEXMFMAIN.
Therefore I would suggest to keep them there. The same for tcfmgr and
related files in TEXMFMAIN/texconfig.

> > I don't know what texlive installs in TEXMFMAIN. For tetex-bin we have
>
> See attached list.

I think most of these files could go to TEXMFDIST. The exceptions are
mktex* et al. and tcfmgr et al. The pool files are a corner case where
one can argue for both TEXMFMAIN and TEMXFDIST. I would prefer to keep
them in TEXMFMAIN, though.

BTW, does texlive come with its own version of dvipdfmx, or is the
separate dvipdfmx package used? I am asking because

> /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/cid-x.map
> /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/UniKSCms-UCS2-H
> /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/UniKSCms-UCS2-V
> /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/EUC-UCS2

are part of the dvipdfmx package, albeit with different locations:

/etc/texmf/dvipdfm/cid-x.map
/usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/CMap/EUC-UCS2
/usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/CMap/UniKSCms-UCS2-H
/usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/CMap/UniKSCms-UCS2-V

cheerio
ralf