Re: TeX task force

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:01:13AM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Except for the space required to duplicate both tetex and texlive,
>
> What space? We would merge the stuff and remove the old projects, do I
> miss something here?

Would we want to lose the history of the current trees for the time
being?  I don't know how easy it is to merge subversion repositories -
I've never tried to do so.

> > that seems very intelligent.  Feel free to take the scripts I've
> > written for the pkg-tetex repository and modify them for this
> > purpose.
>
> Sorry for my ignorance, which scripts?
>
> If you speak about commit-email.pl and post-commit, I would have a
> question!

post-commit has just a few small tweaks to send stuff to different
lists (one with full diffs, the other with only the summaries).

The pkg-tetex's commit-email.pl (in /svn/pkg-tetex/hooks on
svn.debian.org) is a patched version of the subversion distribution's
version; see bug#217133.

> > I presume that we continue to use svn.debian.org (aka alioth)?
>
> definitely!
>
> > Can we continue to use the existing tetex list?  It's well known and
> > appears in the control files of the tetex packages.  We could have a
> > new list: debian-tex-maint instead, though.
>
> This is the open point, I would prefer (but I am the one who has to read
> two lists ATM ;-) to have only one list for all the stuff. That was the
> idea behind the adapted commit-email.pl/post-commit stuff so that
> filtering out would be easy for people who are not interested in some
> parts (I do this for the pkg-texlive already so that changes to lmodern
> also go to debian-tetex-maint list, but not the rest).

One list makes sense: we should be working together, and it is likely
that many issues will affect both versions equally.

The only question is do we want to go to the hassle of renaming the
list from debian-tetex-maint to debian-tex-maint?

   Julian