Re: [ubuntu-science] Ubuntu patches for DDs

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 15:28 -0700, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> Ralf Stubner wrote:
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/tex/mathpazo-type1
> >
> > :-(
>
> Well, the source package was removed, but I looks to me like it was
> reinserted (possibly during the move to LaunchPad). I'll track that down
> with the archive team ASAP.

Thank you for looking into this.

> I think pitti or doko usually handle TeX stuff. It could be we just need
> more people looking after it. We sync to Debian unstable so we should
> have the auctex package from Debian unstable at least as of Jan. 23rd
> with was the Upstream Version Freeze. I see that auctex 11.81-2 was
> pushed out on Jan. 21st so that was probably a little late for it to
> have been done automatically.

Ah, Jan, 21st. That also explains why Dapper still has lmodern v0.92,
since v0.99.3 was uploaded on Feb, 11st. In general it might make sense
to have a few people look after the respective Debian packages such that
important bugfixes can be incorporated even after Upstream Version
Freeze. See that tetex-base bug I mentioned.

In addition, looking into the bugs filed against TeX related packages
would be helpful. For example, there is one bug against tetex-base
(status confirmed) where the last message claims that the default output
format of teTeX 3.0 is PDF. This is completely wrong! Just have a look
into the documentation ('texdoc TETEXDOC', pdfetex is the defualt
engine, since it can also be used for creating DVI files). Most likely
the bug reporter uses a broken test for pdftex and should switch to
ifpdf.sty. It would be nice if the right information would get into such
bug reports.

cheerio
ralf