Re: [ubuntu-science] Ubuntu patches for DDs

Ralf Stubner wrote:
> Jordan Mantha wrote:
>> Ralf Stubner wrote:
>>> Jordan Mantha wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>> The mathpazo package looks unnecessary to me. Both teTeX 2.0.2 and teTeX
>>> 3.0 contain the necessary fonts and macro packages.
>> Good catch. It looks like tetex-base, tetex-extra, and tetex-doc include
>> mathpazo. I will ask for the mathpazo package to be removed. Thanks Ralf.
>
> It seems you weren't that successful:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/tex/mathpazo-type1
>
> :-(

Well, the source package was removed, but I looks to me like it was
reinserted (possibly during the move to LaunchPad). I'll track that down
with the archive team ASAP.

> Is there anybody on the ubuntu-science list who would be interested to
> look after TeX related packages in Ubuntu? I am part of the Debian TeX
> task force and I was sort of surprised how
>
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/tetex-base/+bug/36145
>
> was handled. In Debian this bug was marked as release critical and fixed
> at about the time the bug was reported in Ubuntu. But nothing happend
> there. Similar for other bugs against teTeX packages. There are trivial
> bugs, bugs with simply wrong information in them, ... But nobody seems
> to be interested in this. Or take auctex, a critical package for anybody
> using TeX together with Emacs: The version in Ubuntu Dapper is really
> old. Via backports.org I am using a more recent version on Debian Sarge
> (released one year ago!).

I think pitti or doko usually handle TeX stuff. It could be we just need
more people looking after it. We sync to Debian unstable so we should
have the auctex package from Debian unstable at least as of Jan. 23rd
with was the Upstream Version Freeze. I see that auctex 11.81-2 was
pushed out on Jan. 21st so that was probably a little late for it to
have been done automatically.

> We from the Debian TeX task force don't have the time to look after
> these bugs in Ubuntu ...

Makes sense, hopefully we can get on top of it better. Usually it is
just a man power issue and having things happen at a bad time in the
release schedule.

-Jordan Mantha