Re: Tex doesn't obey /etc/papersize ?

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> writes:

> On 12.05.06 Gregory Stark (gsstark@mit.edu) wrote:
>
> Once again with the submitter in Cc.

thanks.

> > I'm trying to update a tex document and I'm having trouble because
> > tex seems to be defaulting to A4. But I have /etc/papersize set to
> > "letter".
> >
> I guess you mean: dvips does not obey papersize, right? This is
> #49149 and friends.

Actually I was having trouble with plain old LaTeX. The resulting DVI file was
formatted for A4. I also had trouble with pdflatex and dvips, but assumed
those were all caused by the original problem.

I've since learned that I have to configure each tool individually, and even
putting \documentclass[letterpaper]{article} doesn't even work properly as
dvips overrides the document's dimensions with its own hard coded paper size.

What a pile of crap. I realize it's not your personal pile of crap but someone
somewhere deserves some sort of censure for this. At the very worst there
should be one file in /etc to edit to control the defaults with some
documentation explaining what to do, not four separate files buried all over
the file system.

--
greg