Re: New splitting scheme

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:43 +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Ralf once asked how I plan to implement the new splitting, now it can be
>> tested.  After switching to the branch, or checking it out, you can run
>> "fakeroot debian/rules copy-texmf-stamp" (never tested further, will
>> probably fail).
>
> I have just tried this, but got the error
>
> $ fakeroot debian/rules copy-texmf-stamp tex_common_dir=../../tex-common
> make: *** No rule to make target `copy-texmf-stamp'.  Stop.
>
> Any hint as to what I am doing wrong?

You're trusting me, instead of looking at the source.  The target is
defined in rules.d/install.mk and is called
$(stampdir)/copy-texmf-stamp, so the invocation would be

fakeroot debian/rules stampdir/copy-texmf-stamp tex_common_dir=../../tex-common

> Leaving out the target does sort
> of work, though. The process gets past the 'copy-texmf-stamp' and ends

That's because the Makefile has a better memory than I have.

> in the 'install-remove-stamp' with:
>
> grep -E \
>   "/(`echo bluesky french hoekwater omega lambda pictex pstricks texdraw xypic | sed -e 's/ /|/g'`)/|/(`echo eurosym lambda.ini bsr.*map | sed -e 's/ /|/g'`)|/fonts/.*/(`echo adobe ams bbold bbm bitstrea cmextra concrete ec gothic pandora rsfs sauter stmary tc urw wasy | sed -e 's/ /|/g'`)/|/tex/amstex/|/(`echo bibtex metapost | sed -e 's/ /|/g'`)/" \
>   stampdir/files.all-nodoc > stampdir/files.extra
> make: *** [stampdir/files.extra] Error 1
>
> Whatever that is supposed to mean.

That means that the install-remove-stamp must act on debian/tmp, and not
rely on any files (I think I already stopped calling the filelists
target).

Maybe it would be more consistent to move the file that we want to
remove out of debian/tmp with a call to dh_install and then rm -r the
tree afterwards.  This way, we can keep the information in the same
format as the install files for the real packages.  But it requires that
dh_install can work for packages not defined in debian/control, don't
know whether this works.

Debian Developer (teTeX)