Re: Debian package building for several tetex versions

Klaus Schneider <klaus.schneider@iup.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> Dear Debian teTeX experts,
>
> how can I check in a debian/rules file if the package is created on a system
> with tetex 2 or 3 and consequently use the old or new (1.1) TDS? My first
> idea was 'kpsewhich -show-path=...' but it prints a *very* long directory
> list, so the problem is how to figure out the right one.
>
> The reason for all this is that I want to write debian files for font
> packages. It would be really good if the package could be built for both
> tetex2 and tetex3 (as tetex2 is still used in stable) without manual changes
> to the debian/* files. I looked in some official source packages but found
> the directories hard-coded. Google didn't give a hint either.

Hm, backports of teTeX 3.0 for sarge will become available in the next
days (awaiting NEW processing) on backports.org, therefore it might not
be so important to build for 2.0.2.

As for you question, I fear there is no "canonical" way to do it.
tetex3 installs its files into /usr/share/texmf-tetex, and texlive
(which also follows the new TDS into /usr/share/texmf-texlive, while
these directories do not exist on a tetex2 system.  I think it would
work to rely on this.

On the other hand, why not take a different approach and create packages
targetted for tetex2 or for tetex3/texlive irrespective of the build
host's version?  We do this in the tetex packages, look at tetex-bin in
unstable: There's a target in debian/rules that switches to sarge, and
an other that switches back.  The changes include a new version number
plus packaging changes - that's all you want.

Alternatively, you could build sarge and sid/etch packages in one run of
dpkg-buildpackage, but that would require lots of own code, debhelper
won't create multiple binary packages with different version numbers.

Debian Developer (teTeX)