Debian package building for several tetex versions

Dear Debian teTeX experts,

how can I check in a debian/rules file if the package is created on a system
with tetex 2 or 3 and consequently use the old or new (1.1) TDS? My first
idea was 'kpsewhich -show-path=...' but it prints a *very* long directory
list, so the problem is how to figure out the right one.

The reason for all this is that I want to write debian files for font
packages. It would be really good if the package could be built for both
tetex2 and tetex3 (as tetex2 is still used in stable) without manual changes
to the debian/* files. I looked in some official source packages but found
the directories hard-coded. Google didn't give a hint either.

Thanks,
Klaus