Re: Providing an up-to-date TeX system for etch: teTeX, TeXlive, or what?

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 13:47 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
>>
>> > pdfetex is contained in texlive-base-bin (as it is the base of all tex
>> > formats), and this packages does not go well with tetex ...
>
> Now I remember. The texlive-pdfetex-bin was merged into texlive-base-bin
> when you tried to get past the ftp-masters.

Well, but I guess if we give a specific reason why we want to split it
out again, we can convince them.

> Would it be possible to use the
> pdftex tarball to build an independent pdftex package on which both
> tetex-bin and texlive-base-bin could depend? IMO that would be the
> cleanest solution. In addition, getting TeX Live 2006 into Etch wouldn't
> be as critical, as long as a current pdftex is the main concern¹.

I think that would be possible, yes.  On the other hand, it means that
we would have the sources for pdftex in Debian *three* times.

But we're not in a hurry, and pfdtex 1.40 will be released
*real*soon*now*!!!!1.  Should we just wait and check whether it can be
configured and compiled in the teTeX 3.0 source tree?

Debian Developer (teTeX)