Re: Providing an up-to-date TeX system for etch: teTeX, TeXlive, or what?

> pdfetex is contained in texlive-base-bin (as it is the base of all tex
> formats), and this packages does not go well with tetex ...
>
> I don't see that it makes much sense to do this. Wouldn't it be easier
> to get the new pdfetex sources and put them into the tetex-bin package?
> Normally these packages are quite well incorporated so not much is
> needed besides unpacking it into the respective directory, maybe not
> overwriting all the makefile(am/in/whatever). One could even take the
> texlive-bin source slice which should work out of the box (??).

Rumor goes that pdftex 1.40 will use autoconf2.59, and this *might*
cause problems in the tetex-bin (and texlive, too) sources which
otherwise use autoconf2.13.  It might, I have no idea whether they
actually will.

Debian Developer (teTeX)