Re: texi2dvi producing pdf output by default

Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org> wrote:

> Indeed, this is the case.  Thanks for pointing it out to me.  The package
> I was trying to build (latex-mk) ships with an old version of texinfo.tex
> in the tarball.  When I replace it with a recent one provided by the
> texinfo package, I get the output in the DVI format.

You can simply remove the file, then the one from
/usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/ will be automatically used, and this is
always the right one.  It's also advisable for upstream, I think - there
may have been reasons, but nowadays you can't process a texi file
without having texinfo installed (because also the texi2dvi/texi2pdf
scripts are in texinfo upstream, makeinfo anyway) - and then texinfo.tex
is always present.

Debian Developer (teTeX)