Re: texi2dvi producing pdf output by default

Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having some trouble in using texi2dvi with the latest versions of
> the packages in unstable (tetex-bin_3.0-13, texinfo_4.8-4).  Before
> upgrading these packages, the command "texi2dvi foo.texi" used to produce
> DVI as the output format.  Today, it is producing PDF and I cannot find a
> way to force it to produce DVI.  Is this related to the fact that both
> /usr/bin/latex and /usr/bin/etex point now to pdfetex?

Yes and no, it's probably because of a buggy test for \pdfoutput in your
document or one of the files included by it.  In tetex 2.0.2, \pdfoutput
happened to be undefined in /usr/bin/tex and /usr/bin/etex, and set to 1
("true") in /usr/bin/pdf(e)tex, now it's always defined, but set to 0
(false) if you call it as /usr/bin/latex.  But many buggy documents do
something like

\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined

and force pdf output as soon as it is *defined*.  If you need more help,
we'd need the problematic document.

Debian Developer (teTeX)