Re: Help with configuration order

Hi Frank!

On Fre, 23 Dez 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> >> Furthermore, it only happens if 50cyrtexinfo.cnf is changed (the comment
> >> sign is removed), and thus only affects systems where texinfo once was
> >> already installed and configured.
> >
> > No, it is completely *independent* of 50cyrtexinfo.cnf. I am speaking
> > about the texlive-base-bin fmt.d config file, which includes the lines
> > for metafont (mf)!
>
> Then wouldn't the solution be to run "fmtutil-sys --byfmt cyrtexinfo"
> instead of "fmtutil-sys --missing"?  You'd have to check for the "no
> information for format `cyrtexinfo'" message, and not give an error in
> this case.

That would be a short term solution. What if some other package decides
to call itself aaaaaaaa, and decides to call fmtutil-sys --missing in
the postinst script. Furthermore it does not depend in any way on any
tex system (ok, I know ...). Then, the exact same situation can happen.

> > Hmm. Making mf-nowin the default for mf is not a good idea since there
> > are font developers who want to see the mf output on screen, and there
> > is a good reason for this.
>
> We should use an alternatives system, anyway.

Mayb, maybe.

> Making the list files configuration files looks like a cludge to me:
> They are *not* meant to be edited by system administrators to change
> program's behavior, they are exclusively package metadata.

True.

> Therefore I think the clean solution would be to change texinfo's
> postinst script not to require a binary that is not yet configured.

As above.

What I am about to do, I have no idea ATM. Will see. After Christmas.

CAIRNPAT (n.)
A large piece of dried dung found in mountainous terrain above the
cowline which leads the experienced tracker to believe that hikers
have recently passed.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff