Re: Help with configuration order

Hi Frank!

On Fre, 23 Dez 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> > Now the fun begins:
> > . all the packages are unpacked
> >   also the list file in /var/lib/tex-common/... is installed (it is
> >   *not* a config file, so it is immediately present!)
>
> Just to remind me: Why does cyrtexinfo need this magic comment trick at
> all?  Usually fmtutil just skipt formats for which there is an entry in
> fmtutil.cnf, but no ini file.

There is cyrtxinf.ini in texlive-lang-cyrillic.

> > . due to aptitudes internals *first* texinfo is configured
> >   - texinfo.postinst calls update-fmtutil which does include the lines
> >     for mf etc into the fmtutil.cnf file (the list file for
> >     texlive-base-bin is already in place!)
> >   - texinfo.postinst calls fmtutil-sys --missing
> >     fmtutil-sys tries to create mf.base, but breaks because the libs (!)
> >     are not configured already (cannot load lib blabla)
> [...]
> > I tried the same with tetex, but it doesn't work. It is always that
> > first tetex-bin is configured (and prior to this the libs), and then
> > texinfo, so no problem here.
>
> So there seem to be somewhat different dependencies...
>
> > THere are several ideas for solving this problem:
> > . ignore, the basic lib (libx11 or jpeg) is normally installed. if one
> >   installs texinfo, then they will be there anyway
>
> Furthermore, it only happens if 50cyrtexinfo.cnf is changed (the comment
> sign is removed), and thus only affects systems where texinfo once was
> already installed and configured.

No, it is completely *independent* of 50cyrtexinfo.cnf. I am speaking
about the texlive-base-bin fmt.d config file, which includes the lines
for metafont (mf)!

> An other option would be to make mf-nowin the normal mf executable; err,
> no - why is this binary linked against all those libraries?  libX11,
> libXrender for sure seem unnecessary; I have no idea what libpng12,
> libjpeg are good for in metafont (but then I never use metafont myself,
> it just creates fonts automatically)

Hmm. Making mf-nowin the default for mf is not a good idea since there
are font developers who want to see the mf output on screen, and there
is a good reason for this.

Coming back to the original problem: I don't see why this should have
anything to do with cyrtexinfo, it is only about the *order* of
configuring packages, and the fact that while the fmt.d files are config
files, the list files are not.

HASELBURY PLUCKNETT (n.)
A mechanical device for cleaning combs invented during the industrial
revolution at the same time as Arkwright's Spinning Jenny, but which
didn't catch on in the same way.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff