Re: configuration files in TeX add-on packages

>> Whether Raffael would accept such a large change is a different
>> question.  But we should clear up what we want first.  Obviously, I'm
>> for urging maintainers to do the switch.
>
> For tipa that would mean moving *only* one file to /usr/share/texmf.
> First to /etc/texmf/fonts/map/dvips and then to /usr/share/texmf.

Why do the move to /etc/texmf/fonts at all?

> But as you are already starting to do the move for tetex, we can well
> wait with tipa for tetex in unstable with the move done.

tetex-base is already uploaded without TeX input files in /etc.

> . for policy: packages put stuff in TEXMFMAIN, and admins can config
>   their stuff in /etc/texmf

done

> . if you are planning to move the stuff to /usr/share/texmf/ from /etc
>   soon, we do
>   - first - the tetex move

done

>   - second - work through the packages and do NMU as far necessary as
>   	necessary

Yes, although an NMU just because of the configuration scheme change is
probably not warranted;  it's just a should clause in the Policy, and I
think it is good that way.