Re: configuration files in TeX add-on packages (was: Building packages with epoch)

Hi Frank!

On Son, 11 Dez 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> >> (for Frank: do you do the upload of the NMU on the tug pages?)

(No hurry with this, anyway).

> ,----
> | We have now moved all our TeX-input-configuration files to TEXMFDIST,
> | local admins can put copies into TEXMFSYSCONFIG.  Shouldn't we request
> | the same from all TeX packages, write this in the Policy draft and honor
> | it when we provide patches or do NMUs with maintainer approval, anyway?
> `----
>
> In fact it *is* already in the Policy.

Ok. I didn't look up the current policy, but I suggest that packages
(not texlive/tetex) put their stuff into TEXMFMAIN /usr/share/texmf and
*not* in texmf-texlive or texmf-tetex, but this is for sure in the
policy.

> Whether Raffael would accept such a large change is a different
> question.  But we should clear up what we want first.  Obviously, I'm
> for urging maintainers to do the switch.

For tipa that would mean moving *only* one file to /usr/share/texmf.
First to /etc/texmf/fonts/map/dvips and then to /usr/share/texmf.

But as you are already starting to do the move for tetex, we can well
wait with tipa for tetex in unstable with the move done. ALso here, no
hurry. In the meantime I will only Recommend the respective packages
with versions in my updpkg repository on tug, but not depend on them.
Later, after the transition is done, I can depend on them.

So to sum up, my proposal:
. for policy: packages put stuff in TEXMFMAIN, and admins can config
  their stuff in /etc/texmf
. if you are planning to move the stuff to /usr/share/texmf/ from /etc
  soon, we do
  - first - the tetex move
  - second - work through the packages and do NMU as far necessary as
  	necessary

I guess this is ok for everyone, and not too much stress.

FRING (n.)
The noise made by light bulb which has just shone its last.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff