Re: tetex-bin description

On 12/9/05, Joerg Sommer <joerg@alea.gnuu.de> wrote:
[...snip...]
> > In English, are you sure?  Isn't there's usually a comma before "and" in
> > (US) english enumerations, like "Bob, Jim, and Sue"?
>
> I've look in some resources in the net and found, the english grammar
> allows the comma before "and" in an enumeration. But I can not say if it
> is state of art.

For reference, the comma before the "and" in an enumeration is known
as a serial comma. Wikipedia has a good summarization of the issue at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma . It coincides with my
experience as a native American English speaker and what I was told in
my undergraduate English classes.

Aethon