Re: moving config files

> Hi friends!
>
> I am in need of an advice: Can someone give me a quick howto how to move
> config files from an old location to a new location? Do I need some
> version checking?

Since the package never was in Debian, and will probably stay in
experimental for a while, wouldn't it be wise to not support upgrades at
all, and only remove the old files if they are unchanged?

> Does this seem ok?

Do the files differ?  I hope not; if they would, you'd get a bogus
"Configuration file created by you or by a script" message from dpkg,
and ucf is currently the only working solution - except not supporting
upgrades, which would be the better choice.

If the files do not differ, I think you can do it with the code you
showed.

> On a side note: the function move_old_conffile() in tetex-bin.preinst
> seems to be a bit strange:
>     rm $oldname
>     if rmdir $oldname 2>/dev/null; then
>       echo "Removed obsolete dir $oldname."
>     fi
> I guess the rmdir $oldname should be a rmdir $olddir. Did nobody happend
> to stumble on this?

Obviously not - I even had problems stumbling over it now, because it's
in tetex-base.  Fixed in svn.

Bye, Frank