Things to improve on pts-tetex-cm-super

Package: pts-tetex-cm-super
Version: 0.3.3-6
Severity: normal

Hi Mickael,

Many thanks for uploading that package to Debian and of course to
Peter for initial packaging!
There are at least two things I don't like. Although these are rather
wishlist I'd like you to treat them as bugs.

1. In postinst you have code to make the package installing on teTeX
1.0.7. sarge has 2.0.2 and etch will have 3.0.x. Hence I don't think
it does make sense to keep that code. The postrm script is
incompatible to the teTeX packages from woody anyway.

2. (more seriuos). You've uploaded the package as architecture any.
Hence the package is built for every architecture in sarge and we get
12-13 packages called pts-tetex-cm-super_0.3.3-6_xxx.deb each having
a size of 27 MB -> min. 324 MB. All this happens because of a small
program called t1c2pfb with a size of 6,3 KB on x86. The *really*
main part of the package is arch independent. This is a waste of disk
space. I suggest 2 solutions:

  1. Simply remove that /usr/bin/t1c2pfb and reupload with arch. all.
     The postinst script will care and call /usr/bin/t1c2pfb.pl if
     t1c2pfb is not present.

If that is not possible due to perfomance issues (I assume t1c2pfb
and t1c2pfb.pl to be functionally equal.):

  2. Split both t1c2pfb and pfb2t1c off into a separate package and
     declare a build depend and a depend on the package for
     pts-tetex-cm-super. The advantage would be that other packages
     (like tetex-base, tetex-extra) could make use of the split
     package. Then reupload pts-tetex-cm-super as arch all.

I've no clue if one can convert an arch any package into an arch all
simply by reuploading. It should be written anywhere deep in the
docs.

Thanks for reading,
  Hilmar
--