Re: Using debconf to get answers about which languages to install

Hi Frank, hi all!

On Mit, 27 Jul 2005, Frank Küster wrote:
> Beware about the differences between conffiles and maintainer-script
> managed configuration files, though.

Yes, this came to my mind as I digged through the debconf documentation.

What do you think is the preferred way to solve this:

On the one hand we have the /etc/texmf/language.d files which work quite
good, users can change them at will etc, upgrades are managed (if I do
not forget to add them to the conffiles ;-). BUT: If someone installs
*ALL* of the texlive-langXXX packages, then latex etc just dies from
exhaustion.

On the other hand we could just eliminate these files and go to debconf
which language-packs should be activated from all the ones installed.
But this does not leave the user the option to edit the different config
snippets.

Is there any comment/remark from you, or one of the DD here?

I would prefer it like it is (less work), i.e. all languages installed
are activated, but if there are too many, well, bad luck (ok).

sip:preining@at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
PEN-TRE-TAFARN-Y-FEDW (n.)
Welsh word which literally translates as
'leaking-biro-by-the-glass-hole-of-the-clerk-of-the-bank-has-been-
-taken-to-another-place-leaving-only-the-special-inkwell-and-three-
-inches-of-tin-chain'.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff