Re: Is there a chance for teTeX-3.0 in sarge?

Scripsit Frank Küster

> (By the way, Henning, are you subscribed to debian-tetex-maint, or
> should I keep Cc'ing you?)

I've been subscribed right from my first message to the list.

> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> wrote:

> > Unpack the data.tar.gz component of all .debs in temporary directories
> > and compare their contents. If there are byte differences between (a)
> > and (b) that are not close to byte differences between (b) and (c),
> > then flag the package for manual attention.

> How can I make this comparison?  I thought that cmp(1) would be useful
> here, but it doesn't seem to be.  It really does a byte-by-byte
> comparison: If there is one additional byte somewhere, everything after
> it will be reported as differing.

I was imagining using cmp(1), in the hope that embedded timestamps
would at most lead to a few differing bytes, but still the same
_number_ of bytes in a timestamp.

A possible problem I've thought about later is that if things like
dvips prologues differ between the versions it will not be easy to
compare output mechanically. No good ideas about what to do here,
though.

--
Henning Makholm                             "Det er du nok fandens ene om at
                                         mene. For det ligger i Australien!"