Re: Is there a chance for teTeX-3.0 in sarge?

Hi,

You wrote a very nice analysis of the situation, thanks.

I don't really know what to say as for the best course of action to
take. While KDE and GNOME have huge deps and build-deps, their
respective upstreams (each) more or less behave as one entity. For
teTeX, there are many, many different upstreams. I don't know if we can
be confident that compatibility was well-preserved for all, or most
packages between teTeX 2 and teTeX 3. Surely, teTeX 3 has been tested
for a long time, but does that guarantee compatibility? I mean, I
suspect many people who test these things when they are at beta state to
quickly adapt their documents to a new package when they find that one
of their documents doesn't compile correctly anymore, instead of fixing
the package so that it doesn't break compatibility.

You should take this for what it is worth (maybe not that much):

  1. I fear that some people who are not reading this list may be bitten
     by the upgrade, that's all. *I*, personally, from a purely selfish
     POV, would prefer having teTeX 3 in sarge; *I* wouldn't mind fixing
     a few of my documents if necessary to have that.

  2. I only read the TeX groups when pointed to them, or when doing a
     topical research with groups.google.com. And I don't read the
     tetex-beta lists. Therefore, you clearly know better how all the
     testing of teTeX 3 happened.

Regards,

--
Florent