Re: The algorithms package

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> As you probably know, the algorithms package for LaTeX was, during some
> time, considered non-free with respect to the DFSG.
>
> It then changed to have a Free licence and it is my impression right now
> that it is included in teTeX 3.0, but not in teTeX 2.x (which is the
> version available in Debian sarge, which is my "production" platform).

Right, it has not yet been readded.

> I have been in contact with Peter Williams, the original author of the
> algorithms package (which provides algorithm.sty and algorithmic.sty) and
> he told me that he hasn't used the package for many years and let me adopt
> the package (which I use quite a lot for typesetting algorithms in
> pseudo-code).
>
> Well, I have already uploaded to CTAN a new version of the package with
> some (small) modifications

That is good news, thank you for your efforts.

> So, I would sincerely love if you could include the package in your
> releases, if possible.

I am going to add it to our 2.0.2 packages.  Just one thing: You ship a
copy of the GLPL with the package, but actually never say that you
intend this to be the license for the package.  You should follow the
instructions "How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs" in the text
of the GPL - it is missing in the GLPL.

By the way, just out of curiosity, why did you chose that license, not
the LPPL?

> P.S.: I am willing to play the role of a guinea-pig and to test teTeX 3.x
> on my sarge systems.

It is already in experimental.  Do you know how to get individual
packages from experimental?  You might find
http://wiki.debian.net/?AptPreferences interesting.