Re: Is there a chance for teTeX-3.0 in sarge?

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> schrieb:

> Scripsit Frank Küster <frank@debian.org>
>
>> |      1.   Packages directly build-depending on teTeX
>> |
>> |           These Packages should be autobuilt on at least one architecture.
>> |           The successfully built packages should at least be checked with
>> |           debdiff whether there are significant changes compared to the
>> |           ones unstable.
>
> Is debdiff really the right tool here? According to its manpage, when
> it is comparing .debs it only checks whether the *names* (and
> permissions) of files differ. But that will not catch, say, a manual
> that tries to build itself but leaves out all of its EPS figures
> because it erroneously thinks it's being output as PDF.

Yes, you're right.  I assumed that it also compares the file sizes.

> Here's my immediate idea about a robust test procedure:
>
> a) Build the package in a chroot with 2.0.2 installed. Save the .debs.
>
> b) Upgrade the chroot to 3.0. Build the package again in the same
>    directory. Save the .debs. again.
>
> c) Let time pass for a few minutes, and build the package _again_ in
>    exactly the same environment as (b).
>
> Unpack the data.tar.gz component of all .debs in temporary directories
> and compare their contents. If there are byte differences between (a)
> and (b) that are not close to byte differences between (b) and (c),
> then flag the package for manual attention.

That sounds reasonable.

>> The box has a flatrate, but only 100kbit/s (that's what I paid, often
>> it's 120, sometimes less).
>
> Hm, my dual-cpu desktop box at work isn't doing anything productive
> when I'm not around. It has a sufficiently fat pipe to download new
> Packages files faster than I can say "apt-get update". Perhaps I
> should investigate how to set up a chroot there and start it building
> packages.

I started with Andreas Barth's "cheat sheet for setting up a buildd" at
http://people.debian.org/~aba/buildd/cheat.html, and also used
http://kmuto.jp/open.cgi?buildd a little.  And I gave you the links to
the mails on -devel.