Re: Documenting change to tetex 3.0; deprecating initex and virtex.

From: Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>
Subject: Documenting change to tetex 3.0; deprecating initex and virtex.
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:05:41 +0900

> Debian tetex package deprecates initex and virtex commands since
> version 3.0.  initex has been superceded by -ini option of tex
> command; invoke 'tex -ini ' instead.  For virtex, there is no
> replacement, since Debian tetex maintainers know of no users of the
> command.  The references you find in tex books and documentation
> published in the past century are wrong; please do live in the 21st
> century.

Frank already responded so only add some notes.

> command.  The references you find in tex books and documentation
> published in the past century are wrong; please do live in the 21st
> century.

If you are talking about initex, the references you find
in books and documentation are correct.  Only one need
to create a symbolic link but then it behaves as documented.

> 1. Is there a documentation stating the differences of the tetex
> implementation from the TeX as documented in TeXBook ?
> That could be useful

>From my point of view, teTeX implementation is exactly
the same as TeXbook documented.  Only teTeX doesn't
provide initex as a TeX system since 3.0

> 2. Is 'virtex' equal to 'tex &plain ' ?

Once again, virtex and initex were two real binaries
in the past (really old old days).  But they were combined
in one tex binary (great advance) and virtex is almost
never used these days.

Regards,			2005-11-14(Mon)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima