Re: Too many conflicts? (tetex vs. texlive)

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 15:00 +0200, Ralf Stubner wrote:

> I might find some time documenting this for the TeX-Policy over
> the weekend and update mk-tex-fontpack appropriately.

Ok, I have updated mk-tex-fontpack and written a bit about this for the
TeX-Policy. The relevant part (converted to text) is:

[...]
     Packages that changed `updmap.cfg' must call `updmap-sys' as detailed
     in Section 4.1.1, `Font configuration'.  Packages that changed
     `language.dat' or `fmtutil.cnf' must call `fmtutil-sys'.  They must
     make sure to issue the `mktexlsr' commands before and after this as
     necessary.

[1]  Note that in `texmf.cnf', as well as in the sequence of multiple
     `texmf.cnf' files that are read, earlier entries override later ones.

4.1.1. Font configuration
-------------------------

     A package that provides additional PostScript Type1 fonts for TeX
     should be useable with any Basic TeX Package.  To achieve this, the
     font package should depend on `tex-common' but not on a Basic TeX
     Package.  The font package should put the necessary `map' files below
     `/etc/texmf/map/' (which must be symlinked from
     `<TEXMFMAIN>/fonts/map' by the Basic TeX packages), and have them
     registered by putting a configuration file with extension `.cfg' into
     `/etc/texmf/updmap.d/' and calling `update-updmap --quiet'.  The file
     contents will then be incorporated into
     `/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg', the effective configuration file
     for `updmap'.  `mktexlsr' and `updmap-sys' have to be called
     afterwards.  Since `mktexlsr' and `updmap-sys' are provided by the
     Basic TeX packages, the font package has to ensure that they are only
     called when they are present in `$PATH'.
[...]

Any comments? Anything missing? Should it be more detailed? Sould one
include sample code?

cheerio
ralf