Re: woody -> sarge

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> today I upgraded my woody system to Debian sarge and guess what:
> During upgrading the teTeX packages I've got serious trouble.

Although we can't do anything for sarge, we should carefully analyse
this and do better for etch.

> The main reason was, that I've tailored somes file below
> /etc/texmf/texmf.d to meet my needs and hence decided not to replace
> them by the maintainers versions.

We should investigate whether there is any policy regarding upgrades
when configuration files have changed incompatibly - are packages
required to handle this choice gracefully?  Would it be better to simply
let the postinst script fail with an explanation if it detects
*.dpkg-new conffiles with the md5sums of the new ones?

> Later jadetex failed to configure as it was looking for latex.fmt,
> which sits in VARTEXMF, which was not yet known in woody.

That's a bug in jadetex - it shouldn't look for latex.fmt, but only
depend on tetex-bin.