Re: lmodern package ready for teTeX 3 and upgrades from sarge

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:26 +0200, Florent Rougon wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>
> > Scanning $TEXMFSYSVAR is cheap. Scanning all TEXMF trees could be
> > problematic for 'power users' that have lots of additional packages
> > installed in $TEXMFLOCAL. Your suggestion of only refreshing
> > $TEXMFSYSVAR and $TEXMFMAIN is probably the best compromise here.
>
> Which can be done in two ways:
>   - hardcode the paths;
>   - get them with kpsewhich.
>
> The latter looks better but requires that texmf.cnf is complete, which
> requires, a priori, a dependency on tetex-bin...

In principle it looks indeed better to use kpsewhich. But aren't
$TEXMFSYSVAR and $TEXMFMAIN specified in the TeX policy?

> > Maybe. :-) Although, it would be quite similar to the current situation
> > with pk fonts, if compressed t1c files are installed in $TEXMFMAIN and
> > the pfb files get written to $VARTEXFONTS. The ls-R files for
> > $VARTEXFONTS would get updated by 'mktexpfb'.
>
> ACK. And updmap would have to change to cope with that, since all the
> PFB files would not exist yet when it is run (in general). Maybe read
> the t1c files, etc.

Does updmap deal with the PFB files? I thought it is only concerned with
the map files and only dvips/pdftex/dvipdfm/xdvi/... interpret the map
file's content and ask 'kpse' for the font files.

cheerio
ralf