Re: lmodern package ready for teTeX 3 and upgrades from sarge

Hi,

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@physik.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:

> Scanning $TEXMFSYSVAR is cheap. Scanning all TEXMF trees could be
> problematic for 'power users' that have lots of additional packages
> installed in $TEXMFLOCAL. Your suggestion of only refreshing
> $TEXMFSYSVAR and $TEXMFMAIN is probably the best compromise here.

Which can be done in two ways:
  - hardcode the paths;
  - get them with kpsewhich.

The latter looks better but requires that texmf.cnf is complete, which
requires, a priori, a dependency on tetex-bin...

> Maybe. :-) Although, it would be quite similar to the current situation
> with pk fonts, if compressed t1c files are installed in $TEXMFMAIN and
> the pfb files get written to $VARTEXFONTS. The ls-R files for
> $VARTEXFONTS would get updated by 'mktexpfb'.

ACK. And updmap would have to change to cope with that, since all the
PFB files would not exist yet when it is run (in general). Maybe read
the t1c files, etc.

> I still had problems understanding it, so I simply installed
> 0.92-8+tetex3+5 on my Sarge system with Frank's teTeX 3 backport. I do
> indeed get the warning from updmap you quoted. The reason for this
> warning seems to be /etc/texmf/dvips/lm.map which is left behind from
> the previously installed version. If I simply remove this file,
> updmap-sys runs without any warnings. One could try to remove this file
> in the maintainer scripts if it has not been changed (tetex-{base,extra}
> does this) or simply document it in NEWS or something like that.

Thanks, you discovered a real problem. lm.map has always be a conffile
in my packages; therefore, I was convinced that the one in the old
location (/etc/texmf/dvips/lm.map) had been deleted by dpkg. And I
thought the warning was due to the /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config symlink
making the correctly-located lm.map /appear/ in the deprecated location.

But this is not the case! The old conffile was not deleted, even though
I haven't modified it. Looks like a dpkg bug. I'll try to workaround it
as you suggest in postinst.

> BTW, I don't think that removing the /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config
> symlink would be a proper solution. After all, there are still config.*
> files for dvips in /etc/texmf/dvips/.

OK. I was not sure dvips didn't look directly in /etc.

> Yet another BTW, in the README.Debian you mention using the LM fonts
> with plain TeX and give a simple example. For simple things this does
> indeed work, but something like
>
> \font\lmtenrm=cork-lmr10
> \lmtenrm ÿ ß \ss \l \H{u}
>
> \tenrm  \ss \l \H{u}
> \end
>
> fails miserably. So at least a warning that the fonts are T1/EC/Cork
> encoded would be useful IMHO.

ACK. Will do. Thanks!

--
Florent