Re: Effect of Replaces in coexisting packages

Hi Ralf, Frank, list!

I am back from very relaxed holidays, everyday climbing in the morning
and swimming in the afternoon, and the evenings were full with Retsina,
Dolmades, Mousaka etc. Hmmm.

Back to work:

On Die, 30 Aug 2005, Ralf Stubner wrote:
> >> My suggestion would be to not replace files but to divert them. That
> >> is the only way for a file to be in 2 packages that can coexist.
> >> Replaces is realy only working right for moving a file from a to b.
> >

> I have no idea, though, why Norbert posted his 'don't use Replaces' message.

Because of the above, and the problems that happen when you replace a
file, then purge the replacing package, and the previous is left with
stupid stuff.

I had the problem in one incarnation of the cm-super packages. I
replaced the map files from texlive-packages, then purged the cm-super,.
thus purged the map files, but the config files under updmap.d from
texlive still refered to the map files, and voila, everything breaks.

On Mit, 31 Aug 2005, Ralf Stubner wrote:

> >> Yes, I think that's the best solution.  It would mean a deviation of the
> >> Debian TeX-live packages from upstream, but I don't think this is a
> >> problem here (Norbert?)
>
> I think Norbert already has the policy to exclude those things from 'TeX
> Live for Debian' that are allready packaged (in superiour form) for

True. And I guess I will continue this way.

> Debian. Of course, I still haven't decided if I want to maintain these
> font packages.

On this line: Has *anybody* heard anything from the maintainer of the
pts-tetex-cm-super package? I have repackaed the whole stuff to a
cm-super package, and have sent im all the diffs and suggestions, and
provided readymade packages on tug, but didn't get any response from him
for close to a month.

sip:preining@at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
FINUGE (vb.)
In any division of foodstuffs equally between several people, to give
yourself the extra slice left over.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff