Re: RFC/RFS: TeXlive for Debian

"W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Norbert, hi all,
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 02:41:05AM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> The TeX live for Debian packages consists out of 66 source packages and
>> 78 binary packages. These packages are all build more or less
>> automatically from the TeX live perforce depot.
>
> Could someone please summarise the differences between tetex and
> texlive?  If there are good reasons to have both in Debian, the
> packages should not conflict, so users could switch easily.

Since the basic packages provide identical files (e.g. /usr/bin/tex,
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls), they must conflict.  It
should be our final goal to make it possible to use *additional*
packages from tex-live on top of a tetex-base+bin installation.  But
this can wait a little; bringing texlive into a state worth uploading to
Debian is the primary goal.