Re: Error upgrading tetex-extra (experimental)

Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> writes:

> Yes, but I wanted to use the fact that with teTeX 3.0 even map and
> encoding files can be put in $TEXMFHOME. I use one $HOME on three
> different machines. It would be easier to just synchronize $HOME on
> those three machines and then only call the appropriate commands
> (texhash, updmap etc.). With installations from source it works. Of
> course it also works with the Debian packages but upgrading of
> tetex-extra will fail (resp. calling updmap as root will fail) if
> some map files are missing in /etc/texmf ... It fails because of a
> new feature in teTeX 3.0 that I appreciate very much: one can put
> map and encoding files in $TEXMFHOME. If I'm not totally wrong I can
> not use this feature automatically with the Debian packages of teTeX
> 3.0. Right?

No, I don't think so. You can put fonts and map files into $TEXMFHOME.
But if you do so, you *must not* put the corresponding updmap.cfg
snippets into /etc/texmf/updmap.d/. You must put them into, eg,
~/.texmf-var/web2c/updmap.d/ and call update-updmap with appropriate
options as explained by Frank. This works for me, and I will try to
explain why:

When tetex-extra (or tetex-base) is configured, update-updmap is called.
This creates /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg based on the updmap.cfg
snippets in /etc/texmf/updmap.d/. After that, updmap-sys is called,
which builds the map files in /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/*/updmap/. For
this to work, *every* map file mentioned in one of the updmap.cfg
snippets in /etc/texmf/updmap.d/ (and therefore mentioned in
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg) *must* be in the system wide TEXMF
trees. Those in you private TEXMFHOME will not be found.

Take home message: Never separate map file and updmap.cfg snippets!

Does that make it clearer?

cheerio
ralf