Re: Incorporating new versions of algorithms in tetex for etch?

First of all, Frank, sorry for any possible misalignments of this message,
since I am "forced" to use a webmail system right now (I'm at work).

Citando Frank Küster <frank@debian.org>:
> It is good to hear that you do not only care for writing algorithms, but
> also for including it in distributions (or in your favorite Linux
> distribution only, I don't know).  However, unless the version in
> tetex-3.0 is hardly usable, we must generally decline such requests.

Nice, what I would like to do is to actually get it included in tetex (so,
perhaps, I should talk directly to Thomas Esser). The version in tetex-3.0
*is* usable, but the newer versions that I have released since I adopted
the package have some quite good improvements and I am doing my best to
maintain backwards compatibility.

In fact, if the package as it is right now is used the same way that it
used to, then it would present *exactly* the same behaviour. In other
words, I always intend to have it with sane defaults and I don't intend to
break the code that already uses it.

I know, BTW, that miktex already seems to have a current version, OTOH
(some co-workers of mine have told me that the package they're using
already shows my name).

> The problem is that every month we get a request to add this or that
> package, or a new version of it, from CTAN.  Of course, most of the time
> nobody among the Debian teTeX maintainers uses the package, and
> therefore cannot say how it might interfere with other packages and
> cause incompatibilities - we would have to check that.  On the other
> hand, the maintainers' team already has enough to do with adapting the
> existing teTeX distribution to the Debian needs (or more than enough,
> actually).

Yes, I know. And if I ever become a Debian Developer, I would like to help
you guys. This is one of the best teams in Debian right now, in my opinion.

> Therefore we must decline such wishes.

Ok, no problems then.

> To achieve this, you
> must either find someone to maintain it (filing a RFP bug against the
> wnpp pseudo package in our Bugtracking System could be a first step), or
> prepare the package yourself and look for a sponsor who does the upload.

I think that I can prepare a Debian package of algorithms. We would only
need to see what dependencies and conflicts would be needed (or, perhaps,
diversions/alternatives---I don't know).

[Testing tetex-3.0]
> Yes, we would be glad to get more reports!

I will put together a new testing system here and report what I see.

Thanks for your kind and prompt response, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/