Re: the TeTeX package in debian is a little out-of-date

Hi,

redox <jfxiao@sibs.ac.cn> wrote:

> I don't know if it is proper that I write to you . I apologize for the
> trouble.

This is the right mainling-list for your question.

> The version of TeTeX package in Debian is 2.0(sarge and sid), and the
> latest stable version of TeTeX is 3.0, so I think the package in Debian
> is a little out-of-date.

New upstream releases aren't introduced in Debian without any
precautions, especially for complex software like teTeX and just before
a release.

When teTeX 3 was released, sarge was supposed to release imminently,
therefore including teTeX 3 was not appropriate. Then, it was supposed
to release imminently during several months, with new, possibly
disruptive upstream releases discouraged. teTeX 3 could not be included.

> I downloaded the package of TeTeX 3.0 from http://www.tug.org/teTeX/,
> but i spent two days and failed to make it work properly on my PC(I'm
> not an expert in Linux-_-). So will you please update the package to a
> newer version ? I think it will be easy for me and the others to install
> a new version of TeTex by apt-get ^_^.

There will probably be backports of teTeX 3 for sarge by the Debian
teTeX maintainers, when sarge is released. Actually, Frank Küster has
already uploaded experimental packages of teTeX 3 in... experimental.

--
Florent