Re: [DRAFT]: The Debian TeX Policy

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> schrieb:

> Hi,

>>>                                                                ^
>>
>> No capital after a colon?
>
> Well, except if something like « George » followed the colon, but here,
> I don't know why you would want to have one (ah, yeah, I see: there are
> capitals everywhere in German ;-)).

And colons are rare in the technical english I mostly read, except for
titles and section headings - and those are the places where also the
english frequently use capitals.

>>> Reminds me of something...
>>
>> Any reason why you did not yet change it? (I'm writing this offline, so
>> I cannot follow your hint in postinst and read bug #213310).
>
> Why do you say I didn't change it? I think the « Reminds me of
> something » wasn't clear to you. It should be understood as « Oh, yes, I
> know this paragraph is here because of my unfortunate
> "updmap --outputdir". ». But the bug was fixed on the 3rd of September,
> just before I raised the issue on this list.

Oh, excuse me. I thought I was getting lmodern from unstable. But in
fact I had just an old backport installed.

>> I think mktexlsr often has to be run twice, especially when updmap is
>> involved (and we wanted to kick out update-updmap, anyway). But I don't
>> know exactly in which cases, that is, in which cases it will search only
>> the ls-R files, or also the disk. If you delete latex.efmt, mktexlsr,
>> and regenerate it, it will be found by kpsewhich even before mktexlsr is
>> run again.
>
> Yes, there might be cases where you need to run it twice. For lmodern,
> I'm relatively confident that it's correct as is (update-updmap, then
> mktexlsr, then updmap) but there might be more complex cases.

lmodern will never generate psfonts.map and friends for the first time,
because it depends on tetex-bin. Therefore it is not necessary to run
mktexlsr again after updmap; but for tetex-bin it might be.

> But as we already said, such customizations are not very commonly
> performed and can be done in /usr/local, so it is not terrible if the
> map files are not under /etc anymore. The main problem, as I see it, is
> that nothing tells you when a map file is updated in the Debian package
> so that you can reflect the changes in your modified version under
> /usr/local.

One more point for the "it's a configuration file" fraction. I think you
win. But then I insist on /etc/texmf/map/. Or */maps/.

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie