Re: Policy, updmap --enable and updmap.cfg in /etc or /var

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Hmmm, as the correct handling of /etc/texmf/updmap.d/10lmodern.cfg was
> by far the most difficult part in the lmodern packaging, I am not the
> person who will defend update-updmap at all cost.

I remember older comments you made. Do you think you can post a short
"executive summary", so that we can include it into the policy - other
packages should do it the same way, I think. Or should we offer a
"tetexpackage-remove_but_not_purge-preserve-map" script to tetex-related
packages?

> *But* I still fear
> that removing it would cause a slight regression: in the current
> situation, if for whatever reason I want to disable a font (for
> instance, suppose I have cm-super installed and I want to produce a PDF
> file with the Computer Modern fonts in Type 3 format), I can simply
> comment "Map foo.map" in a file under /etc/texmf/updmap.d and be done
> with it.
>
> If update-updmap is not there anymore, I'll have to edit updmap.cfg
> (using updmap --disable for instance) but presumably, when I update the
> font package, it will reenable the font. Or that package would have to
> enable the font map files only when it is newly installed... How do you
> plan to handle the situation?

That is a good point. The package would have to check a) whether its map
file is enabled or disabled and b) whether it was previously in state
purged, or (removed OR installed), and then decide whether it has to
(re)enable the map file.

There's even a more severe problem, at least if we decide that map files
are _not_ configuration files: If the map file is not removed from
updmap.cfg, but is removed from the disk, updmap will give a warning,
and in tetex-3.0 it will be an error. Therefore, packages would need to
--disable their maps upon *remove*, but otherwise record whether they
were enabled (or disabled by the user). Okay, we won't get this problem
if we do put the map files into /etc/texmf/map/.

In any case, all this would be a lot of work, while on the other hand we
have this simple mechanism with configuration files and update-updmap.

> Yes, you can probably drop new empty map files under /usr/local to
> shadow the normal map files for the font, but it is probably not the
> most intuitive solution...

No, _this_ would be really ugly.

Thank you for pointing this out, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie