Re: tetex-extra and fmtutil

On 15.08.04 Andreas Gredler (jimmy@g-tec.co.at) wrote:

Hi,

> I'm writing you this personal mail because I don't want to discuss
> everything on the bug list(Long bug reports are hard to read, IMO)

You've seen eventually #225004 or #244601? SCNR.

> What should I look for in /etc/texmf? VARTEXMF is not set there and
> I do not understand why I should look for it there. That file isn't
> sourced in the postinst script. Am I missing something?

/usr/bin/fmtutil

  # if no cnf_file from command-line, look it up with kpsewhich:
  test -z "$cnf_file" && cnf_file=`kpsewhich --format='web2c files' $cnf`
  test -f "$cnf_file" || abort "config file \$cnf' not found"

fmtutil wants to see fmtutil.cnf either to be given on command line or
to be found by kpsewhich. To make the latter possible the dir
/var/lib/texmf/ must be part of TEXMF (set in texmf.cnf). What does
egrep "^VARTEXMF|^TEXMF" /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf tell you?
egrep "^VARTEXMF|^TEXMF" /etc/texmf/texmf.d/05TeXMF.cnf ?

I consider the following scenario: texmf.cnf is built from different
files sitting in /etc/texmf/texmf.d. 05TeXMF.cnf was changed in
tetex-bin 2.0.2-17. VARTEXMF was defined and taken as part of TEXMF.
Hence the files in /var/lib/texmf/web2c are found. Possibly you have
changed once 05TeXMF.cnf manually, but didn't define VARTEXMF. When
you updated your tetex-bin you were probably asked, whether you want
to use the maintainers version or keep your own (the latter answer is
the default). You took the default answer, VARTEXMF is not defined in
texmf.cnf and fmtutil.cnf is not found.

In the moment I don't have any clue how to solve that problem:
1. Call fmtutil with the parameters in postin (however texmf.cnf must
be changed in another case no formats are found)?
2. Force VARTEXMF into texmf.cnf using sed?
3. ....

H.

P.S.: I have the other teTeX maintainers in Cc.
--
http://hilmarpreusse.forum-rheinland.de/