Re: pdflatex stymied after update to tetex-extra 2.0.2a-2

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:09:24PM +0000, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a pseudo-bug-report, I only wanted to check if this is
> a known problem first, before actually doing a full bug report.
> I'm not sure this aproach is kosher, but it seemed the best way
> to find out, please do correct me if that is wrong.
>
> After updating tetex-extra to 2.0.2a-2 (unstable) I cannot use
> pdflatex anymore. Everytime I run it, it seems to rebuild some
> files in web2c and then exits, complaining about being stymied.
> For further details, see program output below.
>

> The test document which created the log follows here:

> No pages of output.
> Transcript written on pdflatex.log.
> fmtutil: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.fmt installed.
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> --
> Fredrik Jonson

My small file debian-doc conversion is also broken since it uses pdflatex:

Transcript written on pdflatex.log.
rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.log': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `pdflatex.log' to `/var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.log': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.efmt': Permission denied
mv: cannot move `pdflatex.efmt' to `/var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdflatex.efmt': Permission denied
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexupd: /var/lib/texmf/ls-R unwritable.
I can't find the format file `pdflatex.efmt'!
debiandoc2latexpdf: ERROR: hackdi.pdf could not be generated properly
debiandoc2pdf: ERROR: hackdi.pdf could not be generated properly
make: *** [hackdi.pdf] Error 1

Why user process try to write into such a directory in default install
and create so much strange failure.

I can still build debian-reference source to pdf which use the same
tools.