Re: jtex-bin: format generation fails if dutch or magyar (hungarian) patterns are enabled

severity 257825 grave
stop

I wrote:

> jtex-bin uses /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat from
> the tetex-bin package. But when certain language patterns are enabled,
> namely dutch and/or magyar (hungarian), the formation of jlatex.fmt
> fails. And this causes the postinst scripts of tetex-base, tetex-bin
> and (sometimes) tetex-extra to fail.

What I didn't take into account is that it also will make jtex-bin
unusable:

$ jlatex /usr/share/doc/jtex-base/doc/test1.tex
This is JTeX, Version 1.9.1, based on TeX Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
I can't find the format file `jlatex.fmt'!

I want to convince the other teTeX maintainers that we should switch to
the new upstream behavior of enabling (nearly) all hyphenation patterns
by default, dropping the debconf question.

I will not let this stupid bug stop me doing that. It is a bug in
jtex-bin, after all, not in tetex, and it's release critical.

> Either jtex should be fixed, so that it will not fail with those
> language patterns, or it should be configured to use a different
> language.dat file.

With the first approach I cannot help (and I do not know whether it
makes any sense to use lots of european hyphenation patterns with jlatex
at all). I just tested the second approach, it's really easy:

Simply install your own language.dat in /etc/texmf/jtex (or jlatex) and
create a symlink from /usr/share/texmf/jtex/latex/config/language.dat to
that file.

That's all.

Well, with one exception: Once we will have enabled all patterns in our
language.dat, you cannot use it without modifications, because you'll
get an error:

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/nohyphb.tex Norsk hyphenation patterns
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pattern memory ops=1501].
l.6418 5e6tasjes

The documentation says that this needs to be fixed in web.ch, but I
don't currently understand the code (and I don't know which changes
texfam makes to it).

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie