Re: tetex-base needs a new orig.tar.gz

On 12.07.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
> Frank wrote:

Hi,

> > Both in copyright and in README.debian, we tell people that we
> > took the updates from CTAN. This might be no ideal solution, but
> > compared to the problems raised in the -legal thread, it's
> > peanuts. We'd better concentrate on this, not on tetex-src.
>
> No, all this is irrelevant here, because it applies to derived
> works. What we do provide in tetex-base/extra/doc is not defined in
> LPPL-1.2. In LPPL-1.3 it is called "compiled work", and there are no
> requirements to distribute the source along with it:

Well, I thought:

`Modification' of a file means any procedure that produces a
derivative file under any applicable law -- that is, a file
containing the original file or a significant portion of it, either
verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another
language.

could be applied to sty- fd- etc. files as they contain significant
portion of the original source files. docstrip just strips off the
doc contained in the dtx-, fdd-files AFAIK.

So this could the equivalent of the compiled clause of 1.3.

H.
--
Good night, Austin, Texas, wherever you are!
  http://hilmarpreusse.forum-rheinland.de/