Re: tetex-base needs a new orig.tar.gz

On 09.07.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
> Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> schrieb:

Hi,

> > Do we have to put the sources of these packages into tetex-src then?
>
> Yes, I have thought about this, too. But as long as the package
> does not require explicitly that the source files be shipped with
> the sty files, we needn't. We can just mail them a copy if they ask
> us, if it's GPL (don't remember exactly with LPPL).

Hmm.

CONDITIONS ON DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

You may distribute a complete, unmodified copy of The Program.
Distribution of only part of The Program is not allowed.

You may not modify in any way a file of The Program that bears a
legal notice forbidding modification of that file.

You may distribute a modified file of The Program if, and only if,
the following eight conditions are met:

<snip>

  8. You must do either (A) or (B):

       (A) distribute a copy of The Program (that is, a complete,
           unmodified copy of The Program) together with the modified
           file; if your distribution of the modified file is made by
           offering access to copy the modified file from a
           designated place, then offering equivalent access to copy
           The Program from the same place meets this condition, even
           though third parties are not compelled to copy The Program
           along with the modified file;

       (B) provide to those who receive the modified file information
           that is sufficient for them to obtain a copy of The
           Program; for example, you may provide a Uniform Resource
           Locator (URL) for a site that you expect will provide them
           with a copy of The Program free of charge (either the
           version from which your modification is derived, or
           perhaps a later version).

<snip> `Modification' of a file means any procedure that produces a
derivative file under any applicable law -- that is, a file
containing the original file or a significant portion of it, either
verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another
language.

> And if the package does require it, we are in trouble anyway,
> because there's not even a Suggests on tetex-src.

But we ship the sources. They are on the Debian CD's. So, if we
include these packages we must put them into the diff of tetex-src I
guess.

H.
--
Showing up is 80% of life.