Re: Bashisms in our rules file

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> schrieb:

> From: Julian Gilbey <jdg@polya.uklinux.net>
> Subject: Re: Bashisms in our rules file
> Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 23:54:00 +0100
>
>> > We have lots of such brace expansions in debian/rules of tetex-base and
>> > tetex-bin. I will fix those. In order to keep the files readable, I will
>> > substitute paths by variables ($(txmfdir) and the like) throughout the
>> > file (even were no brace expansion was, to get consistent).
>>
>> Why not just do:
>>
>> SHELL = /bin/bash
>>
>> at the start of debian/rules?
>
> I believe it had been done already both in tetex-base
> and tetex-bin.

You are right, it should not be necessary.

I was confused by that that bug report against tetex-bin that turned out
to be a bug in dash or libc6 or whatever. (It got too confusing for me
to follow, and it's clear that it wasn't our fault, so I didn't try any
more.) The problem was, probably, that ./configure itself has a #!/bin/sh
shebang line, so that it doesn't matter whether we set SHELL in
debian/rules or not. But it gave me the impression that debian/rules
itself would use /bin/sh.

Anyway, I hope my changes don't hurt. I think I'll leave it in.

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie