Re: [DRAFT]: The Debian TeX Policy

Hi,

In addition to what Richard already suggested...

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

>      The latest copy of this document can be found in the
>      `Debian-TeX-policy' files in the `tetex-bin' package.

Not very important, but... why not tetex-base ? It feels more natural to
me to have it there (arch-indep, can be installed without tetex-bin...).

> 2. Terms and Definitions
> ------------------------
>
>      TeX-related package
>           Any Debian package that uses or provides parts of the TeX
>           infrastructure: The TeX or MetaFont program or derivatives

<nitpick>
                            ^ and
web2c.info (and "apropos metafont" on my woody system) suggests that it
should be written "Metafont"...
</nitpick>

                            ^

>      3.   `/usr/share/texmf-site/', referenced as SITETEXMF

Ah, there at last, you'll have something to hand out to the people who
request $latex_package to be updated to the latest CTAN version. ;-)

                                                               ^

               ^

                                 ^

>      of the directories where the generated files are placed.

Reminds me of something...

                                         ^

>      is unnecessary and harmful, causing internal changes (e.g.  of format
                                                                 ^

debiandoc2txt thinks we have end-of-sentence periods here. I suppose
there is no way to tell him that they do *not* mark the end of a
sentence...

>      Packages should be able to delay running of mktexlsr, updmap and
>      perhaps even "fmtutil -all" until all TeX-related packages that want

According to the manpage, it is "--all".

OK, it seems to be good starting point. I suppose more is to come to
this policy (things such as the best order when running update-updmap,
mktexlsr and updmap) but things will probably change in a substantial
way when teTeX 3 enters sid, so I think it is a bit too early to write
that.

Regards,

--
Florent