Courier \texttt{} font too large?

Hi,

I use Debian Sid GNU/Linux and its tetex package and update regularly.
For the last few months, ghostview and xpdf have picked a 12pt courier font to display the 10pt courier generated by the \texttt{} and \url{} commands in my 10pt documents. So my documents look bad in ghostview
and xpdf. acroread, on the other hand, picks a great font and diplays
quite nicely. The courier fonts in

http://dust.ess.uci.edu/hire/sdn_grd_02_adv.pdf

show what I've just tried to describe. They were produced by \texttt{}
and by \url{}. When viewed with acroread, they look great, but when
viewed with gv or xpdf, the look not so great.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

I have all the font packages that I know could make a difference:
apt-get install acroread cmatrix-xfont emacs-intl-fonts gsfonts-x11 t1-xfree86-nonfree ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-freefont ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfonts-100dpi xpdf

Is there some other font package I should check for?

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, surname@uci.edu, (949) 824-2987, Department of Earth
System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100